I posted last spring about brewing and bottling my first batch of beer, an Oak-Aged I.P.A., and it came out great.
I’ve finally gotten around to giving it another go, but I may have gotten a little overly ambitious with a gingerbread stout recipe I found online. The brewing process seemed to go fine, but there were A LOT of ingredients, and while bottling, the siphon kept getting clogged up with the molasses and ginger. It only ended up filling five, 16-oz bottles, two fewer than last time.
Despite the struggles, I’m not ready to call it a failure, because if the beers I did make taste as good as I hope, it’ll all be worth it. Even if they don’t, it was a good learning process and I’ll be ready for the next batch.
I received a home brewing kit for Christmas this past year, and finally got around to making my first batch the other day, an Oak-Aged I.P.A. I’m already a bit nervous about how it’s going to turn out, but only time will tell I guess.
It seems a lot of kits make about 5-gallons, but the kit I used is a bit smaller and does just one. It may be less beer, but it made the whole process much more manageable for me and I could use just a regular pot for the wort.
It is now fermenting in my basement and in another five days, I’ll need to add the oak-aged chips. About two weeks after that, it’ll be ready for bottling, and then eventually drinking. I already found a place called Hopman’s in Waterford, MI that sells all sorts of brewing equipment and ingredients for my next batch.